Located on a dramatic promontory encircled by
the Akhurian river and protected by vertical cliffs.
Walls below the Citadel
Walls descend from each side of the citadel to the
ravine, protecting the city from a flanking attack.
The Citadel or Inner City
This low, flat topped hill contained the palace
of the rulers of Ani plus several churches.
The Ruined Bridge
Remains of a single-arch bridge, probably from the
10th century, that once spanned the Akhurian river.
Monastery of the Virgins
A monastery with an early 13th century chapel
that is built on a ledge of rock above the river.
Church of Tigran Honents
Built in the year 1215 by a rich merchant,
its interior is covered with wall-paintings.
Mosque of Minuchihr
Founded by the emir Minuchihr in the 1070s. The
present structure is probably from the 12th century.
The Cathedral of Ani
The largest and most important church in Ani.
A building of World architectural significance.
Church of the Redeemer
A circular church with eight apses, it was constructed
around the year 1035 and split apart in 1957.
Church of Saint Gregory
It was built as a chapel for the Pahlavuni family
and is probably from the late 10th-century.
Church of the Holy Apostles
Only a few walls remain of this 11th-century church,
but much of the later narthex survives.
The Monastery of Khtzkonk
A remarkable set of five churches, 25km southwest
of Ani; four were destroyed in the 1960s.
The Monastery of Bagnayr
The remains of an important 11th-century
monastery located several miles to the west of Ani.
The "Underground City"
The cliffs have layers of soft stone between
harder basalt - ideal for cutting chambers into.
King Gagik's Church
Built between 1001 and 1005, it is a copy of
the celebrated 7th century church of Zvartnots.
The Merchant's Palace
Built in the 12th or 13th century, it was probably
the residence of a wealthy Ani merchant.
The "Fire Temple"
The remains of a Zoroastrian temple that dates from
between the 1st-century to the mid 4th-century AD.
The City Walls Of Ani
An impressive line of double walls with tall towers.
They date from the end of the 10th century.
The Monastery of Horomos
Burial place of the kings of Ani and one of the
most important religious centres in the kingdom.
Road passing the Fallen Minaret
A paved road ran from the main gate towards the
citadel, passing a minaret that collapsed around 1890.
The City of Kars
50km north-west of Ani, Kars is still a living city.
With pages on its history and 10th-century cathedral.
Magazberd + nearby sites
One of several castles that protected Ani.
Nearby sites include several medieval churches.
The Basilica of Tekor
The scant remains of a fifth-century church. It was
the earliest known domed church in Armenia.
Churches to the North of Ani
One from the early 10th century in Oğuzlu village,
plus another from the 13th century called Kizil Kilise.
Church of the Shepherd
A complex and unique church located outside the
city walls. It was destroyed in 1966 by an earthquake.
The "Georgian Church"
The ruins of a single-nave church that was used
by members of the Georgian Church in Ani.